Sunday, October 2, 2011

Planting the seed of any vocation as a gift from God

Today I had the privilege of giving a brief presentation at all of the Masses at Our Lady of Fatima Parish in Highland Lakes, New Jersey. Being invited to do this kind of vocation promotion is something I cherish greatly.  To be able to remind people that every vocation is sacred, a divine call and that we reach our fullest potential and deepest peace when we have responded to that vocation which God has in mind for us, be that marriage, the single life, religious life or the priesthood. It’s God’s will that is key, I remind them; it is God we need to ask for guidance: show me, Lord, what it is you want of me.

   Two highlights of today’s experience was meeting two young women, a junior in high school to whom the pastor introduced me.  When I asked her if she ever thought of religious life, she shook her head “no” but there was something about her smile and that she was opening to picking up some literature told me that, just maybe a seed might have been planted.  Another young girl, an eight grader, who is already thinking of which high school to attend: a Catholic high school, which does not offer the music opportunities for which she is looking  or a public high school, which does (she is a violinist and wants to continue her music education).  When I reminded her that God goes with her, whichever her choice, and that I did not go to either a Catholic grade school or high school, she lit up.  I hope I helped her realize that she needs to listen to her inner voice and make the choice that is right for her with her parents’ support.


No comments:

Post a Comment