Friday, October 21, 2011

A God who saves

In today's first reading (Romans 7: 18-25) St. Paul is frustrated with himself. The good he wants to do he does not do; the evil he wants to avoid he does.   Sounds familiar. How often does the Spirit not nudge me,  to do good, for instance, to drop an email or call a friend who has just experienced the death of a loved one and I do not do it; or to avoid returning evil for evil and, oops, there I go again: not doing the good I could have done and not evading the evil or which I fell prey.  Paul's conclusion is mine as well: Thank God that I have a Savior, one who rescues me from this pit of discouragement, lifts me up, sets me on the right way with the resolve to keep trying to do good and avoid evil, asking God, the other and myself for forgiveness. And even this act of seeking forgiveness is a good I want to do and frequently do not do. Thank God that God does not grow weary of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment