Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Holy Spirit's Intercessory Power

Today’s first Scripture reading (Romans 8:26-30):  (Put your name here), the Spirit…comes to help…[you] in---[your] weakness; for, when…[you] do not know how to pray properly, then the Spirit personally makes…[your petition] for…[you] in groans that cannot be put into words; and he who can see into…[your heart] knows what the Spirit means because the prayers that the Spirit makes for…[you] are always in accordance with the mind of God.”   Wow! When I do not know how to pray, which is whenever I do not know God’s will in a conflictual situation or I am anguished over it, the Spirit groans within  me. I may be screaming: “How could this person or that, how could I, do such a thing!  How wrong is this person’s or my own behavior.”  The Spirit, who reads the heart, knows what led an individual or myself  to act poorly. “God knows the intention of the Spirit” (Rom 8: 26-30) in the person/s  about whom I’m distressed or about me, the agonizing one. Knowing God’s will, the Spirit, in deep groans, approaches God the Father and God the Son, with a request that turns “the evil” into good, one’s despair into hope, one’s doubt into faith, one’s  hatred into love, one’s revenge into forgiveness, one’s alienation into reconciliation in God’s time and in God’s way, even if my eyes remain closed to what the end result will be, even if only a “mustard seed” is being planted and the “mighty oak” is not yet, or the “brokenness” has only entered into a lengthy healing process.  After all, the man at the Pool of  Bethesda waited thirty-eight years (Jn 5: 1-9), the bent-over woman eighteen years (Lk 13: 10-17) and St. Monica twenty-eight years.  Am I an exception to the work of the Spirit respecting the readiness of a subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment