Friday, October 14, 2011

The gift of righteousness and blessedness

In today’s first Scripture reading, Romans 4: 1-8, Paul raises the question about Abraham’s righteousness.  Like Abraham, what you and I have found is not of the flesh.  We are not justified by the work we do or ever did or will do. If our work saves us, we would have reason to boast, as would Abraham.  In God’s sight, however, as Paul reminds us, we have no reason to boast of any good we have done nor even of our faith in God.  We might say to God in prayer: “Lord, You gave me the gift of faith. My righteousness is in You, Your gift to me in Christ Jesus.  I am not the one doing the work that leads to righteousness or sanctity. That is the Spirit working in me, a gift poured out upon humankind when Your Son, Christ Jesus, after His death and resurrection, returned to heaven.  Our blessedness, as in King David, (Romans 4: 6-8)  is a reality because You, God, have forgiven our sins.”  And Jesus says to me through the Spirit within me:  “Dorothy Ann, blessed are you because God wipes away your sins, does not keep a record of them. Your righteousness is God’s righteousness, a gift from God, whose love for you  is shown in the sacrifice of His Son’s life and His triumph over Satan on that first Good Friday.” My response: “Praise You, Lord! Thank You, Lord! Glorify You, Lord!”   What does the Spirit say to you in today’s first reading? And what is your response?            

No comments:

Post a Comment