Friday, January 25, 2013

Paul's Conversion to a Disciple of Christ


Today we celebrate the conversion of St. Pau1. Paul was persecuting Christians. Jesus confronts him on his way to Damascus, where he intended to put Christians in chains, “binding both men and women and delivering them to prison” (Acts. 22: 3-16).  A bright light from the heavens blinded him and he fell to the ground. A voice says to him: “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” Paul, startled by both the blinding light and the voice, asks:  “Who are you, sir?”  The response was: “I am Jesus the Nazorean whom you are persecuting.”
 
This passage has a lot in it for you and me to ponder. The first thought that comes to my mind is the one in Mt 25:45 where Jesus says: “Whatever you do to the least of my brethren you do unto me.”  Jesus says to you and me:  (insert your name),  “why are you so harsh with Me, critical of Me, frustrated with Me, abusive of Me? Whenever you do these things to yourself or others, you do them to Me.  Stop playing these games with Satan, serving his goal to create chaos, division, disunity in your life, between yourself and others.  When you complain about others, put others down, demean others or yourself, you are complaining about Me, putting Me down, demeaning Me!  Remember, when another person is difficult to deal with that that person is having difficulties within him/herself.  Be gentle and compassionate with that person as the Father is compassionate.  Do not exacerbate his/her pain.  Whenever you fall into that trap that Satan has set for you, step back, stop and allow me to transform those behaviors into acts of kindness and patience.  Remember that “chains” bring out “chains,” fear produces fear, hopelessness breeds hopelessness, rejection brings out defensiveness in the other and in yourself.  Put on love, show concern,  assume the role of a peace-maker; work at understanding the other and yourself; I will help you.   As my disciple I call you to be My servant, an instrument of My grace, My mercy and My love. You are to be My hands, My heart, My feet on a mission to promote unity, not division.”

No comments:

Post a Comment