Thursday, January 24, 2013

An Intercessor at the Throne of God


In today’s first reading, Heb 7: 25-8:6, we are reminded that Jesus offered Himself, His will, His life, not according to a man-made law but in accord with God’s will, God’s infinite mercy, infinite love and infinite compassion toward humankind, who had severed its relationship with God through its disobedience.  Jesus’ sacrifice for sin, through His obedience to the Father even unto death on the cross,  is eternal, does not need to be repeated as were the  sacrifices offered according to the law of Moses, the Old Covenant.  No! In the New Covenant, Jesus, who interceded for us on the cross, continues His intercession for us at the right hand of God.  Yes, Jesus, like us in all things, sits at God’s right hand, in the majestic, transcendent Holy of Holies, interceding for us just as He interceded here on earth for all who pressed to touch Him and be healed of their diseases (cf. today’s Gospel, Mk 3: 7-12).

What in me is dis-eased, out of sync with God, paralyzed, broken, wounded, choosing my way and rejecting God's way,  that needs healing?  I have One in the Holy of Holies that is beyond the veil that separates us on earth from God, who is ready to heal me.  May I accept this reality and humbly bring myself to touch Jesus today. Only by this contact will I be able, in turn, to be a healing presence in this broken world, especially for those with whom I live and give service to others in my home, in my place of employment and other places to which I am called today. How have I taken time today to seek out the Lord as did the people in today’s Gospel?

No comments:

Post a Comment