Wednesday, January 30, 2013

God, the Sower and the Farmer

In today's Gospel, Mk 4: 1-20, Jesus tells the story of the sower who sowed seeds on rocky soil, the seed could not take root, on soil filled with thistles and weeds that choked off the seed and on good soil that yielded a rich harvest.

God is like no other farmer. A professional farmer makes sure that the soil is prepared to produce abundantly, that the rocks and weeds are cleared away before planting, that the season is the right time for planting. God pays no attention to any of that. He sows copiously, all year round, at any season, in all soils, rich and poor, rocky and weedy, moist and nutrient-laden.

No matter in what condition I am, no matter how hard my soul might have become or how resistant to grace, how weedy my interior is, God is always at work in my plot, cultivating, weeding, providing nutrients, "fertilizing," clearing "rocks" and planting seeds of holiness and healing, forgiveness and reconciliation, love and peace. He never grows weary and never gives up on my plot of land. He will work patiently, wait as long as need be, for me to cooperate with His efforts to make me one with the Father as He and the Father are one, to prepare me to receive the love God has for me and to be open to His power, the Spirit, at work within me as the Spirit worked in Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment