Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Jesus: Savior


Today’s first reading, Heb 2: 14-18, opens with the following statement:

                Since the children share in blood and Flesh, Jesus likewise shared in them, that
                through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is,
                the Devil, and free those who through fear of death had been subject to slavery
                all their life.

We may think of the phrase “fear of death” to mean only our physical dying.  However, it means far more than that. It refers to fear of dying to selfishness and rising to the new life of generosity in giving one’s 100%, fear of dying to pride and rising to new life through humility, the fear of dying to anger and rising to new life through peaceful negotiation and compromises, the fear of dying to deceitfulness and rising to new life through honesty, the fear of dying to fear itself and rising through acts of courage and so on.

When I am afraid of something, my energy goes into protecting that of which I am afraid. I become a slave to the behavior I engage in to protect myself: a slave to hiding the truth, a slave to selfish behaviors, a slave to acts motivated by pride and so on.  Jesus came to set us free!

From what do I need to be set free today?

               

No comments:

Post a Comment