Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A religious tradition that nurtured Amalia's vocation

Amalia Frances Rose Streitel aka Mother Frances Streitel, Foundress of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother—We read in one of Mother Frances’ biographies that devotion to the Sorrowful Mother was a strong tradition in Mellrichstadt, Germany, and perhaps in all of Germany. Religious traditions that impacted me as a child were weekly Mass, weekly confession in preparation for receiving the Eucharist at the liturgy, daily rosary, prayers before and after meals.  Truly, for my parents, religion and the nurturing of their faith were central to their lives. There was never a question of attending weekly Mass, come rain or shine or piles of snow. We got to church! The whole village must have been of that mindset, as winters were harsh; yet we were always plowed out on weekends, as much as I can remember. And never, never, was the rosary not a daily priority, even when we children objected!  Is it that kind of atmosphere/attitude on the part of adults in my life that fostered my religious vocation? Possibly! And, from my perspective, I am grateful.  What stands out in your childhood as positive influences to the vocation to which God called you or is calling you?

No comments:

Post a Comment