Friday, September 9, 2011

A choice: Focusing on other's faults or transforming one's own

This morning I meditated on today's Gospel (Lk 6. 39-42). Last night when the sisters I live with shared faith based on their reflections of this passage, I was touched by the opening phrase another emphasized: "Can a blind person guide a blind person?" All of a sudden I realized that the statements that follow this describe how I become blind, that is, when I am focusing or obsessing about the mistakes others are making, or I think they are making, complaining about their weaknesses, I am then actually blinded--that plank in my eyes fogs my vision of what God asks of me. While criticizing others, I am not engaging in constructive behaviors/attitudes that will make a difference today in building a Kingdom of peace and justice and love by what I do or say or leave undone or unsaid.  I cannot serve that part of me tearing others down and also serve that part of me called to build the Kingdom.  I cannot simultaneously follow good spirits while serving evil spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment