Monday, September 19, 2011

Not my will but yours be done, O Lord

Discernment: Step 2 of the Ignatian method of discernment is  to be totally open to what God wants, setting aside that toward which one is  personally inclined.  St. Ignatius is suggesting that the petitioner be totally indifferent, totally detached from the answer God gives when saying to the Lord: Lord, which state in life do you want of me?  Are you calling me to be married? To remain single? Or to enter religious life?  He asks that we neither desire one vocation over another but that we desire only  that which God desires of us  and to pray in that vein.  In other words, if open, our prayer might go something like this: Lord, show me what you want of me? Reveal your will to me.  In the words of Jesus spoken in the Garden: "Not my will but yours be done, O Lord." Or the words of Mary at the Annunciation:  "Behold the handmaid of the Lord. Be it done to me according to your will." 
Source: Discernment of Spirits by Warren Sazama, SJ, National Religious Vocation Conference, Chicago, IL 60615.

No comments:

Post a Comment