Friday, September 16, 2011

Mother Frances: taught to serve, to give of self, and to live a life of integrity

Amalia Frances Rose Streitel aka Mother Frances Streitel, Foundress of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother: Amalia’s siblings, like herself, were highly educated. Both her brothers chose military careers and rose to high ranks. Her sister Hedwig, like Amalia, was educated by the Maria Stern Institute in Augsburg, also earned a teaching certificate and entered the teaching profession.  Amalia’s siblings looked up to her and maintained a close relationship with her throughout her life.  Amalia, as we will learn more of later, and each of her siblings, pursued careers and lifestyles that demanded self-confidence, integrity, and self-less giving. The stamina to achieve high standards was rooted in their upbringing as children. Both parents, themselves, were high achievers: her father as a husband, a father and a judge; her mother as a spouse, a homemaker and an educator/trainer of her children.   When I reflect upon my life, I, too, realize that much of my strength of character as an adult and my expectations that I strive for ever higher quality in ministry,in community life  and in relationships stems to the values modeled by my parents. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment