Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Winter in Jerusalem!

In  today's Gospel, John 10: 22-30, we are told that the Feast of the Dedication was taking place in Jerusalem and that it was winter!  Jesus attends this feast and is asked by the Jews, as he walked about the temple area, how long he would keep the people in suspense of who he actually is!  Jesus responds very directly: "I told you and you do not believe. The works I do in my Father's name testify to me. But you do not believe...." 

To believe in Jesus and in the works that He does, one's heart needs to be open, not frozen, not cold!  Would Jesus say that it is winter for me, that is, that I am cold, inattentive to His words or to His works, especially to the needy and poor, to those who are vulnerable and who need assistance, to little children who needs someone to show and express their love for them, who need someone who will play games with them and help them with their homework and who need a daily structure that keeps them feeling safe and secure?  If I am "frozen," and need to "warm" up to Jesus and to His teachings, Jesus might say to me:

Dorothy Ann, (insert your name), pay attention to My Words in the very core of your heart!  I speak to you there every day and often throughout the day. I also "unthaw" your frozen heart so that you can feel other people's pain. I remove the "cataracts" from your eyes so that you see what I see and the "wax" from your ears so that you can hear me speaking to you through others and through the events of the day!  I cherish you being my partner in the good I do all day long in every person's life and in appreciating all of nature and the graces I shower down upon you every day! 

If I am cold and inattentive to others, they might say to me: "You never have time for me!" "You don't call me!" "You ignore me!" "You don't offer to help with preparing meals or doing other household chores!" "You are "glued" to the internet, the TV, your electronic gadgets!"  "You  are more into  yourself interests than into anything that interests the kid or me!" "You are not willing to give an inch!"

If I, if you, are going to leave "winter" behind, what do we need to be willing to change?

No comments:

Post a Comment