Monday, May 4, 2020

Jesus, the Good Shepherd, Promises to Lay Down His Life for You

In today's Gospel, John 10: 11-18, Jesus says to us:  "I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd  lays down his life for the sheep. A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep...."

Jesus is saying to you, to me: I know you just as the Father knows me and He knows the Father!  That is knowledge of our whole selves--body, mind and spirit!  It is knowledge of all of our weaknesses, all our temptations, all of our strengths, all our desires, and of whatever motivates us throughout the day! And not only does He know what is going on for us, He also knows how to help us through the issues that overwhelm us, trouble us or darken our ability to see clearly what is God's will for us. He also knows what gifts of the Holy Spirit we need to manage the difficulties in ways that strengthen our faith, our trust and love of  God, others and self!   It is also clear that Jesus knows when "wolves" are threatening our well-being--body, mind and spirit. And He is not afraid! If necessary, He will put His life on the line for us and did so, once for all!

Could there be a better Shepherd to guard our souls, protect our bodies and prepare our minds to know when "wolves" are approaching and which path to choose by which we will be safe? Absolutely not! Never! No way!

No comments:

Post a Comment