Wednesday, May 6, 2020

His Commandment Is Eternal Life

Today's Gospel, John 12: 44-50, speaks of the union of the Son and the Father. Jesus says:  "Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me, and whoever sees me sees the one who sent me. I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain  in darkness."  He reminds us that He did not speak on His own: "...[T]he Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. So what I say, I  say as the Father told me."  

The Father sent Jesus. He also sent you and me. And for the same reason: that we would be light in the world in which we live.  And, if light, then others with whom we interact do not live in the darkness, either.  Furthermore, by seeing us in action, others, if living a life of faith, see the Father and the Spirit and Jesus working through us, unless, of course, we are involved in works of darkness, that is sin.

Jesus also makes a significant statement when He says that He knows that the Father's commandment "is eternal life."  God's commandments, the formal ones given to us through Moses, and those given to us through the Holy Spirit directing us to do good in the world are "eternal life"  for us, as well, and for those who benefit from the good we do in word and in deed! That peace that you and I experience throughout the day, I believe, is a peace that comes from heaven and is a piece of heaven here on earth!  We tasted "eternal life" in those  moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment