Monday, May 11, 2020

The Power and Source of Faith

In today's first reading, Acts 14: 5-18, Paul and Barnabas flee to the Lycaonian cities of Lystra and Derbe, as they are about to be stoned in Iconium for witnessing to Jesus' resurrection from the dead.  In Lacaonia they come upon a man crippled from birth. Looking intently upon him, they see the depth of his faith. So  they say to him:  "'Stand up straight on  your feet.' He jumped up and began to walk about."  Those who witnessed this miracle say about Paul and Barnabas: "The gods have come down to us in human form."  Paul and Barnabas have their hands full in their efforts to convince them that they are not gods but human beings just like them. In the responsorial psalm we pray:  "Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to your name give glory because of your mercy, because of your truth."

The questions this passage puts before us are many.   1) When others look at us, do they recognize the depth of our faith or do they see its shallowness? When I am "crippled" by whatever--for instance, I could be crippled psychologically or spiritually by the restrictions put upon us by this corona virus-- do others see the shallowness of my faith, that is, that I have begun to doubt the good intentions of those imposing the restrictions?  And that I have begun to doubt that God cares? Or that I have begun to doubt that I have the ability to make a positive difference in my own life and the life of others in the way I handle the challenges before me?    2) Or do others see the depth of my faith,  as Barnabas and Paul  saw the faith of the crippled man?  Do I stand straight and tall in the face of the challenges of remaining positive and proactive? Do I trust that I will make it through this trying time and come out stronger? Do I believe that good will come out of this difficult time and that I have the power to make good things happen right now and right here?  3) When others want to credit me for something I did by the grace of God, do I take the credit or give the "glory" to God?  4) Do I recognize when "the glory" is misplaced and put on me when it belongs to Another/another?

No comments:

Post a Comment