Friday, January 15, 2016

God's Respect for Our Freedom

In today's first reading, 1 Samuel 8:4-7, 10-22a, the people ask Samuel to appoint them a king to rule over them, like other countries have.  Samuel is upset at their request and goes to the Lord to complain about it.  God says to Samuel: "Grant the people's every request. It is not you they reject, they are rejecting me as their king."   Samuel warns the people that a king has the right to "take your sons and assign them to his chariots and horses, and they will run before his chariot. He will also appoint from among them his commanders of groups of a thousand and of a hundred soldiers. He will set them to do his plowing and his harvesting and to make his implements of war and the equipment of his chariots. He will use your daughters...He will take the best of your fields, vineyard, and olive groves, and give them to his officials. He will tithe your crops and your vineyards, and give the revenue to his eunuchs and his slaves," and much, much more! The people still insist on having it their way!

God lets the people choose their will over His, as He does to this day.  How often do we not reject an authority figure, not realizing that the difficult time that we give someone in authority is actually a rebellion against God as our Ruler, our King!   Moreover, how many persons absolutely reject the advice and ignore the warning of their parents, grandparents and other adult family members, church leaders, community leaders and get involved in things that will lead to their own slavery, to their own downfall and misery beyond all telling!


Lord, forgive me for the times I reject Your authority over me that is revealed to me by persons in leadership of any kind. Forgive me for the times that I let pride guide me and insist on doing things that are ultimately not for my good or for the good of others affected by my decisions.  Have mercy on me when I insist on my way and reject Yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment