Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Choosing according to God's Counsel, Wisdom and Enlightenment

In today’s first Scripture reading, 1 Samuel 16: 1-13, God asks Samuel to go to Bethlehem to meet Jesse, “for I have chosen my king from among his sons.”  Samuel is frightened.  “How can I do that? Saul will kill me,” is Samuel’s response.  How often do we not use a similar excuse” “I can’t do that, Lord!  So and so will kill me.”  “I can’t do that Lord! What if so-and-so hears about it; my name will be mud!”  “What will so-and-so think if he/she hears what I’ve done?”  “No, Lord! No way; I will get into trouble if I do that. I will lose friends.  I will lose that promotion. I will be looked upon with disdain,” and so on and on we go with excuses of why we cannot follow the Spirit’s lead!

When Samuel gets to Bethlehem and meets Jesse’s sons, he is awed by the ones Jesse presents.   In fact, he is so enamored by the appearance and lofty stature of the first of Jesse’s sons, Samuel is convinced that he is the one God has chosen. But God lets Samuel know that it is not so. “Do not judge from his appearance or from his lofty stature, because I have rejected him. Not as man sees does God see, because he sees the appearance but the Lord looks into the heart.” Among the seven sons Jesse presents none is the one God has chosen for His anointed. So Samuel asks:  “Do you have any other sons?”  And Jesse says “Yes, my youngest son is tending sheep.” “Send for him,” Samuel orders. It is the youngest son, the one excluded, the one assigned menial tasks, the least likely humanly speaking that is chosen to be anointed the next king of Israel.  Samuel anoints him “and from that day on, the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon David.”

Jesus, in today’s Gospel, Mark 2: 23-28, is also doing the unthinkable. He and His disciples are traipsing through someone’s wheat field and, not only that, stripping the wheat of its grain! Furthermore, they are doing so on the Sabbath!  Jesus ignores two rules: 1) you do not create a path through a neighbor’s wheat field nor do you strip the ripe grains and 2) you do not work on the Sabbath!  For Jesus, there is a human need that must be met: His disciples are hungry and need something to eat to continue the journey.  And furthermore, as He tells those objecting to His behavior, the Sabbath is made for man, not man for the Sabbath!


What might we learn from these readings? 1) that judging by appearances is usually off base, 2) that it is the Spirit of the Lord that empowers one, including me and you,  to do what God is calling us to do,  3) that, sometimes, the unthinkable is the right thing to do and 4) that the objection  “what will others think of me” can be Satan’s cunning way of luring us into the temptation of choosing human will over God’s will!

3 comments:

  1. Sr. Dorothy Ann, thank you so much for sharing this Blog. I sometimes read it but I rarely comment, but today's sharing has spoken so loudly to what I have been journeying through over the past two weeks that I just had to say...Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie, you are most welcome. And thanks for the messages you share on Facebook! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reality as well-defined by A Course in Miracles is not a physical empire, dimension, or knowledge, since truth is created by God and as God is unformed, unchanging, everlasting, endless love, and boundless and unified perfection -- a non-dualistic oneness. Reality in the Course is one and the same with Heaven and perceptibly cannot be connected in any method to the universe of form that the world calls reality. Being unchanging, true reality is everlasting and fixed, and therefore any assumption of separation -- which is change -- is not possible and therefore on no occasion was. As a non-dualistic state, reality is beyond insight, since perception presumes a subject-object dichotomy which is integrally dualistic and so can’t be real. In A Course in Miracles, reality is also synonymous with knowledge, the state of being that is Heaven.Enlightenment

    ReplyDelete