Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A Generous, Attentive, Listening God

In today's Gospel, Mark 6: 34-44,  Jesus is concerned about a crowd of people. They are, He says, "like sheep without a shepherd.  He takes time to instruct them "in many things".  It's getting late and the disciples ask Jesus to send the crowd away so they can get something to eat for themselves in the nearby villages and farms.  Jesus challenges them to feed the crowd themselves. They wonder how the heck they are to do that without losing a day's wage. Then they notice that someone in the crowd has five loaves and two fish. He orders the 5000 men (women and children not counted) to sit down in small groups. Looking up to heaven, from where all good comes, Jesus blesses and breaks the bread and divides the fish. All are fed and there are leftovers of both commodities!

Who are you/who am I in that passage? a member of the crowd? one of the disciples who is afraid of losing a day's wage to help out those in need? one of the disciples who asks Jesus to dismiss the crowd and does not want to be bothered? Are you/am I the person with the five loaves and two fish that I need for my lunch but am willing to give them to Jesus to feed the people? Are you/am I one of the disciples who notices Jesus' generosity and is grateful or one who does not notice but participates in the meal? Are you/am I one of the disciples who listens to the Word of God and puts it in practice, following the Spirit to be of help in whatever little way I can?

Lord, help me to become more of a listening person and a doer of good for other's benefit, willing to let go and not cling to "my possessions," my time, my energy or whatever you are asking me to share with others for the common good or the good of my family/my community!

No comments:

Post a Comment