Wednesday, January 20, 2016

David and Goliath; Jesus and Satan

Today’s first reading presents us with the battle between David and Goliath, the Philistine.  Saul challenges David, saying, in effect: “Who do you think you are going against this Philistine. You are a mere youth while this guy has been a warrior since his youth. You cannot do what you plan to do. It will not work!”  David does not flinch.  “The Lord, who delivered me from the claws of the lion and the bear, will also keep me safe” from the claws of this Philistine.  Saul’s response: “Go! The Lord is with you.”

David approaches Goliath, taking with him his staff and five stones. With one of those stones he kills Goliath.  After cursing David, Goliath approaches David and says to him: “Come here to me, and I will leave your flesh for the birds of the air and the beasts of the field.”  David says to Goliath: “You come against me with sword and spear and scimitar, but I come against you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel that you have insulted. Today the Lord shall deliver you into my hand; I will strike your down and cut off your head….All this multitude, too, shall learn that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves. For the battle is the Lord’s and he shall deliver you into my hands.”

Pass forward to Holy Week.  In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus is approached by men armed with spears, chains and swords. Jesus, our Good Shepherd, is unafraid; the Father and the Spirit are with Him.  Jesus takes on Satan, the “Goliaths” in our lives, crushes Satan’s head, cuts it off, so to speak, so that his power over us is destroyed by Jesus’ death and resurrection.  By His five wounds, not five stones, we are saved.   As Jesus is dying, someone acclaims: “Truly, this is the Son of God!” To this very day, multitudes have come to believe in Jesus as the Savior of the world!


That is my belief! What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment