Monday, April 20, 2015

Work for That Which Endures



In today’s Gospel, John 6: 22-29, following the multiplication of the loaves, Jesus’ disciples had gotten into a boat and sailed across the sea to Capernaum but Jesus did not go with them. He stayed behind and, out on the sea, the disciples see “him walking on the sea.”   The crowd that witnessed the multiplication of the loaves set out to find him and when they do, say to Him:  “Rabbi, when did you get here?” Jesus answers: “Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate loaves and were filled.” Then Jesus makes a statement that, again, reveals who He is. He says: “Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God, has set his seal.” The crowd does not recognize Jesus as the one upon whom God has set his seal. They do not recognize Him as the Messiah, the One sent by God to sit forever on the throne of David as King of a Kingdom that is not of this world. Hence Jesus says to them: "You are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate loaves and were filled.”

For what reason am I a disciple of Christ? For what reason am I a member of the Church founded on the apostles with Jesus as its head? What am I seeking in my church life?  For what or whom am I looking? A Messiah who frees me from my sinfulness? A Messiah who teaches me how to love and forgive? A Messiah who is preparing me to be part of a Kingdom that is not of this world?  Or, like the crowd, am I only seeking to be filled of things that do not transcend this world? Am I only looking to "feel full emotionally--a feel-good religion," not a relationship with God that demands that I empty myself for others as Jesus did, excluding no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment