Friday, April 3, 2015

God's Love for Us Revealed on Calvary



Today is Good Friday, the day that Jesus was condemned to death. He is condemned in our place. We are guilty of sin, not Jesus. Who, I ask, have I condemned, betrayed, handed over to be mocked, ridiculed, put down?  Who, I ask, have I denied, not wanting to risk my life’s reputation or risk being ridiculed, threatened, questioned?  

Jesus stands in the place of all of us, as He is arrested, dragged in front of Caiapas,  Annas, Herod and Pontius Pilate. False witnesses are called forth, as the authorities are looking for a reason to condemn Christ to death.  When have I borne false witness to another? When have I played into the hands of someone with “an axe to grind” against another, of someone who is bent on bringing another down to their level? Or when was I the one with “an axe to grind” and was bent on bringing another down, wildly looking for something that would increase another’s culpability in my eyes.

Jesus, innocent of any wrongdoing, stands silent before His accusers. When have I chosen to be silent in front of those who have wrongly accused me? Or when was I wrongly accusing another and others had the courage to not chime in but remained silent to my chagrin?

Jesus is slapped in the  face, struck with blows, spit upon, made fun of and taunted, not only during the interrogation phase of his arrest, but also during his painful walk to Calvary’s hill, when crucified and lifted up on the cross. “If you are the Son of God, come down from that cross. Save yourself, if you are the Christ.” Jesus does not respond but remains on the cross for our sakes: His death would bring us eternal life. And nothing would stop God from securing our eternal salvation. Oh, what a loving God!

No comments:

Post a Comment