Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Emmaus Story: Jesus Modeling a Way to Help the Brokenhearted



Today’s Gospel reading, Luke 24: 13-35, is the story of the disciples on the way to Emmaus.  Distraught, they are returning to their former way of life, saddened that the person they thought would restore Israel has been crucified.  Jesus joins them and asks: “What are you discussing as you walk along?”  Exasperated by the question, one of them says to Jesus: “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know of the things that have taken place there in these days?” “What things? Jesus asks. He doesn’t say: “Of course I do! I know it better than you do. Let me explain!”
Wow! What an example of openness, humility and responding to people at the level of their understanding, respecting their position. Jesus does not show off His knowledge, does not shame the disciples for their ignorance, does not assume a one-up-man-ship position. This is Jesus, the Risen Lord. Of course He knows what has happened these past few days! But he allows the disciples to tell their story, to fret and moan their loss, to be sad and distraught, confused and frustrated; yes, to be angry.

What a lesson for us, for me!  How often do I not jump right in, give my opinion without first listening to the other person or not allowing the other person to express his/her grief, his/her anger and frustration, not allowing the other to be confused and downright down and out about everything that has been happening in his/her life, in the church, in the world, in my family or religious community. How often do I not “shut them up” with my pontificating, philosophizing, or making sure that the other knows that I know exactly what they need to hear! O God, have mercy. May I learn from you how to be present to another person where he/she is at without interrupting, without needing to clarify, explain, make right, not needing to enlighten!  Truly, I will then be revealing God’s compassion, understanding, acceptance and love! Nothing more would need to be said!

What would happen if, the next time someone is  expressing an opinion about a very disturbing event effecting his/her life, I would ask:  “What are you discussing?”  Or “Tell me what happened?” What if I fully listened without interrupting and, perhaps, without even expressing my opinion! Entering their brokenness in this way may be the only blessing they need at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment