Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Spirit-directed or ego-directed Motivations

Today’s Gospel, Mt 6: 1-1, 16-18, opens with “Take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise,  you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.”  As I think of that statement, the thought that rises in my mind is “what about the proclamation of saints?” Do we not hold up the saints for people to emulate? Do we not need people here on earth whose actions motivate us to do likewise: forgive others, do good to others, do not fuel discontent, confront injustices, reach out to the poor and the destitute?  So why does Jesus say to us: “Take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them”?  Obviously there is a difference. In the one, I am seeking to be seen. I am seeking accolades. I am being ostentatious. In the latter, others are holding up the person and encouraging me to follow that person’s example of goodness.  So I need to be aware of my motives. Why am I doing what I am doing? Is it to give glory to God, to help the person in need, to live the Gospel message and imitate Christ in the way that He lived among us?  Such motivation flows from the Spirit within me.  Behaving ostentatiously flows from the ego within me that wants to be on its throne and “worshipped.”  I then become an idol, usurping the glory that belongs to God and God alone. Pride is fueling my actions in those cases whereas, in the other, grace is empowering me to do good for God’s sake and the sake of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment