Friday, June 20, 2014

Heaven's Treasures to Which God Leads Us

In today’s first reading, 2 Kings 11: 1-4, 9-18, 20, we have an example of what Jesus warns us against in the Gospel; namely, not to store up treasures on earth.  Athaliah,   whose  only son, the heir to the throne, dies, orders that all of the members of the royal family be put to death. She then assumes the throne.  However, one of the princes who would have been slain is whisked away and hidden in the temple.   Later, he is brought forth and crowned king.  Athaliah panics on hearing the excitement and joy of the people on the occasion of his crowning.  “Treason,” she screams, as she is led away to her death. The altars to Baal are destroyed and the covenant of the Chosen People is restored:  the “covenant  between the Lord as one party and the king and the people as the other, by which they would be the Lord’s people; and another covenant, between the king and the people.”

Whenever we seek power through deception and violence to other people, our plans come to naught, as we read in the psalms.  God alone is King. God alone deserves our tribute. His will is the highest will. No earthly power will usurp God’s authority.
When I asked the Lord to speak to me personally about the Gospel message to store up treasure in heaven, not on earth, the response I heard in prayer was:

Dorothy  Ann , store up treasure in heaven by living a humble life, a life of loving obedience to the Spirit’s lead, by surrendering to the will of the Father as I reveal it to you in the ordinary tasks of the day, invitations to give of yourself to My purposes each day. I will reveal those to you as each day unfolds.  Let your focus be on Me, your God, not on material gains or earthly treasures. My will always leads you to refreshing waters, to green pastures.  Be not deterred by Satan’s lies: “This is too difficult” or “I’m too tired,” or “I don’t know how to bring that about,” as I never ask any thing of you that is beyond your abilities instilled with my power.”

No comments:

Post a Comment