Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Glorifying God on Earth


“Give glory to your son, so that your son may glorify you….I glorified you on earth by accomplishing the work that you gave me to do. Now glorify me, Father, with you, with the glory that I had with you before the world began,” we read in today’s Gospel.  In Acts 20: 17-27, Paul also confidently states his faithfulness to carrying out God’s will. He says:  “I served the Lord with all humility and with the tears and trials that came to me because of the plots” of those who opposed my teaching them about Jesus. I…earnestly bore witness…to [my]faith” in Christ Jesus.  There, in a nutshell, is our calling as baptized Christians.  Hopefully at the end of our lives, we, too, will be able to say to our Creator: “I glorified you on earth by accomplishing the work that you gave me to do. Now glorify me, Father, with you, with the glory that I had with you before the world began.”  Our  work is no different than the Lord’s was, namely, to “reveal…[God’s]  name to those whom…[God gives to us] and to give to others what God has given to us: forgiveness, love, confidence, strength, hope, faith in Christ Jesus.  Also, our work is the same as that which the Lord gave Paul to do, namely, to serve “the Lord with all humility and to bear witness to our faith in Christ Jesus amid the tears and trials” that are part of life here on earth.  May you and I rise to the occasion to be true disciples of our Lord Jesus Christ so that others may know, as they did about Jesus, that we come from God and will be returning to God at the end of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment