Monday, June 2, 2014

Co-conquers with the Lord


In today’s Gospel, John 16: 29-30,  the disciples proudly say to Jesus: “Now you are talking plainly, and not in any figure of speech.  Now we realize that you know everything and that you do not need to have anyone question you. Because of this we believe that you came from God.” And Jesus responds with something that today might sound like: “OH, yeah. In just a short period you will all scatter. You will even deny me and one of you will betray. Yes, when it gets hot in the kitchen you will all scram for ‘cooler’ ground and leave me to myself.”  As I reflected briefly on that passage, I couldn’t help but think of times when, in the excitement of some success or some celebratory event, I, too, loudly proclaimed my belief in Jesus. I was hype with excitement, unreserved  in my love for the Lord, willing to do anything to build up the kingdom. And then the storm came.  Where was my faith then? Why did my willingness to do anything for Jesus, no matter what the cost, wane, sag, decline?  Were there not times when I simply said: “I’ve had enough, Lord.” “I can’t take it anymore.” “It’s too hard, Lord.” “I’m too tired, too old” or “I’m too young, too ignorant, don’t have enough education.”  “I’m afraid I will fail, Lord. I won’t do well enough. I’m not good enough, strong enough, etc. etc. etc.!” At times like those have I forgotten that God is with me, lives in me, as He lived in Jesus. When I shy away from doing that which seems difficult have I not forgotten Jesus words at the end of this Gospel: “In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” In Christ Jesus, you and I are conquerors of those excuses that want us to believe we are alone and incapable of that to which the Lord calls us as co-conquerors of this world’s evil and of Satan’s deceitful messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment