Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The House that God Built


In today’s first reading, 2 Sam 7: 1-17, David wants to build the Lord a house of cedar.  Earlier, when David voiced that desire, Nathan encouraged him to go ahead: “The Lord is with you.”      However, that was not God’s will for David. He said to Nathan: “Go, tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord: Should you build me a house to dwell in? I have not dwelt in a house from the day on which I led the children of Israel out of Egypt to the present, but I have been going about in a tent under cloth…[D]id I ever utter a word to any one of the judges whom I charged to tend my people Israel, to ask: Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”  The house that God intended to build was not made of material things. He built and is building the Body of Christ through His Son Jesus.  God has chosen to dwell within each one of us, the Temples of the Holy Spirit and where the Holy Spirit is, so, too, is the Father and the Son, as they are one God but three divine persons.  God’s plan was to rise up a son from David’s line and “make his royal throne firm forever,” a throne in heaven from whence God reigns as King of heaven and earth.  May the Temple that each of us is give glory to God, whose will endures forever!  See you all in heaven, the inheritance God has secured for all those who believe in Jesus Christ, His Son and our brother,  and who repent of their sins and accept God’s gift of salvation!

No comments:

Post a Comment