Thursday, January 2, 2014

Personal Identity: What John the Baptist Teaches Us


In today’s Gospel, Jn 1: 19-28, priests and Levites approach John the Baptist and ask him who he is? They are wondering whether or not he is the Christ, the Anointed of God, the Messiah.  He firmly states that he is not the Christ. They then want to know whether he is Elijah or the Prophet and again he says: “No!”   Exasperated, they say to him, who, the heck, are you? We need to bring back an answer to our superiors. “What do you have to say for yourself?”
John does not become defensive. He does not respond in anger. Simply, he says: “I am the voice of one crying out in the desert, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord.’”  When approached by Pharisees, also sent to find out who John is, who ask him why he is baptizing if he is not the Christ. His response is: “I baptize with water, but there is one among you whom you do not recognize, the one who is coming after me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to untie.”

John knew exactly who he was and who Christ was. Do I know who I am? Do I know Christ? If the answer is “yes,” to both questions, then why, at times, am I defensive when someone approaches me and asks: “Who are you?”  Why do I tremble slightly inside when asked:  “What do you have to say for yourself?”  Is it that I am not sure of my own identity? Is it that I am not building my life on a firm foundation this day, that of Christ Jesus, knowing that Jesus is my All, my Savior, my Defender, my Protector?  Is it that I am relying exclusively upon self and not upon God?  When those questions disturb me, is it possible that I am in the process of serving myself, enhancing my reputation, trying to draw people to recognize my greatness and not directing people to the Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment