Saturday, June 27, 2020

The Healing of a Paralyzed Servant

In today's Gospel, Matthew 8: 5-17, a centurion, a Roman soldier, approaches Jesus and asks him to heal his paralyzed servant. When Jesus says that He will come and heal him, the centurion says to him:  "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed." And so it is!  Every time that you and I receive the Eucharist, believing that it is a personal visit from Jesus, that it is the body and blood of Jesus that we eat and drink when we receive Holy Communion, Jesus comes down and enters our house, the house of our souls. If, like the centurion we believe and ask for healing, we, too, are freed of whatever "demon" has imprisoned us in negative, sinful thoughts and/or behaviors and healed of those "diseases"--physical, mental, spiritual, psychological-- that are depriving us of the energies we need to choose good and avoid evil.

I believe! And I ask the Lord to strengthen my belief, to awaken me to His Presence in the Eucharist, in the Blessed Sacrament that resides in the Tabernacle in every Catholic Church, as well to His Presence in every person, in all of creation, in the universe itself, as God resides in the depth of all that exists in the world, in all that that takes its being-ness from the Being of its Creator.

God be praised! God be exalted! God be glorified in all of His Creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment