Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Am I Substituting the Finite for the Infinite?

In today's first reading, 1 Kings 19: 20-39, Elijah challenges the 450 prophets of Baal to stop straddling the issue of who they will follow. He said to them:  "If the Lord is God, follow him; if Baal, follow  him."  Given no answer from them,  Elijah challenges them to offer a sacrifice to Baal and he will offer a sacrifice to the Lord. Each is to prepare the sacrifice, placing it on an altar  but  not setting it on fire but are to call upon their deity to sent down fire to consume the sacrifice.They will then know who is God.  The prophets of Baal called upon Baal from morning until noon and nothing happens. "They even slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom" when sacrificing to Baal. Still nothing happens. "[T]here was not a sound, no one answered, and no one was listening."   Elijah calls the prophets of Baal over to  him and he, in turn, prepared a sacrifice to the Lord, saying: "'Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel and that I am  your servant and have done all these things by your command. Answer me, Lord! Answer me, that his people may know that  you , Lord, are God and that you have brought them back to their senses.' The Lord's fire came down and consumed the burnt offering, wood, stones and dust, and it lapped up the water in the trench....[A]ll the people feel prostrate and said, 'The Lord is God! The Lord is God!'"

As with the 450 prophets of Baal, God also challenges you and me to stop straddling the issue of who we will follow!  God alone, as we pray in today's responsorial psalm, "is [our] allotted portion and cup,  [God] it is who hold[s] fast [our] lot[s]."  Do I, with the psalmist, "set the Lord ever before me"?    Or do I seek other things  as my "allotted portion and cup", looking to God-substitutes to "hold fast my lot"?  God, the psalmist says, "will show me the path to life, fullness of joys in [God's] presence." However, I may be frantically and obsessively seeking "fullness of joys" in places and persons, in things and substances that are incapable of quenching my thirst or hunger for God. That insatiable thirst and hunger for a relationship with God can only be satisfied by God, and God alone!  What efforts do I make each day to quench my thirst and hunger for the Almighty, the Holy One, the Ultimate Love above all loves?

No comments:

Post a Comment