Saturday, June 13, 2020

God Is Our Inheritance

In today's first  reading,. Elisha  encounters Elisha as he is plowing a field with twelve oxen. He throws his cloak over him.  Immediately, Elisha leaves the oxen and runs after Elijah, saying to him: "'Please, let me kiss my father and mother goodbye, and I will follow you.'  Elijah answered him, 'Go back! Have I done anything to you?'"   Elisha left  him and went back. He slaughtered the twelve oxen and made a meal for his parents before saying goodbye and, following the prophet, became Elijah's attendant.

In the responsorial psalm, Psalm 16, we say to the Lord: "'You are my inheritance, O Lord...my allotted portion and my cup, you it is who hold fast my lot. [You, O] Lord, counsel me; even in the night my heart exhorts me. I set [You,] Lord ever before me; with [You] at my right hand I shall not be disturbed; therefore my  heart is glad and my soul rejoices nor will you suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption.'"

With that confidence in the Lord, Elisha leaves everything and follows the prophet Elijah. With that confidence, Jesus leaves the glory of heaven to come to earth and, later, leaves his mother Mary and sets out on his ministry to the poor and needy and shows us the way to the Father. That same confidence in His Father reveals itself in how Jesus responds to the scribes and pharisees and leaders of His people who turn against Him, hating Him to the point of seeking His life. With that same confidence, Jesus carries His cross to Calvary and is put to death by the leaders of Israel. Jesus trusts His Father through His life and death and God, His Father, in turn, grants Him victory over death. He raises Him  from the dead and is glorifies Him at the His right hand forever. Death has no more power over Him, our inheritance!

"You are my inheritance, O Lord!"  That is as true for you and me, as for Elisha and for Jesus and for Mary and all of the saints who have gone before us! Do I live in that knowledge? Do I live believing that God "holds fast my lot," that God is "my allotted portion and my cup," that God is always ready to  "counsel me"?   Do I live with the knowledge that God "is ever before me," that God is with me, walking beside me, taking me "by my right hand"?  Do I face the end of my life joyfully, confidently, as Jesus did, believing that I will not suffer corruption but will we taken up into heaven, to an imperishable inheritance, as was Jesus, Mary and all the holy ones before me--those made holy by the body and blood of Jesus?

May it be so, in Jesus' name!

No comments:

Post a Comment