Friday, June 26, 2020

A Willingness To Be Of Help To "A Leper" In Need Of A Compassionate Hand

In today's Gospel, Matthew 8: 1-4, a leper approaches Jesus, does Him homage, and said to him: "'Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.'  He stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, 'I will do it. Be made clean.' His leprosy was cleansed immediately."

Lepers were considered unclean and had to warn people of their approach, so as to avoid contact of this highly contagious disease.  Lepers were social outcasts, separated from their families and all of society.  To push through a crowd and kneel prostrate before Jesus was an extremely courageous act on the leper's part. But there was no way that this man was not going to approach Jesus and ask for mercy: "Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean."  Jesus stretches out his hand, touches him and says: "I will do it. Be made clean."  Jesus risks becoming a leper! And without hesitation, says to the man: "Be made clean."

At every Eucharist, when Catholics receive the Body and Blood, soul and divinity of Jesus, Jesus becomes one with each one of us and says to you and me: "Be made clean." 

To whom, today, have I, have you, stretched out a hand of comfort, of caring, of hope, of faith, and thus restored that person's hope and faith in themselves and in humanity in general? As I reflect upon my past work in the community in which I live, to which persons shunned and ostracized by social prejudice and discrimination have I reached out?   To whom in my own family have I stretched out my hands to help in particular struggles, be those emotional, psychological, financial, marital  problems that have caused them to be ostracized by family members? Is there someone in my life who has said, or is now saying, to me: "If you wish, you could help me!" Am I listening? Am I hearing? Am I responding?'



No comments:

Post a Comment