Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The Lord Keeps Us Safe

In today's first reading, 1 Sam 17: 32-33, 37, 40-51, David offers to confront Goliath, a Philistine who is a threat to the nation of Israel.  Saul is hesitant and tells David that he is no match for this giant.  David insists, saying: "The Lord, who delivered me from the claws of the lion and the bear, will also keep me safe from the clutches of this Philistine."  Saul then offers him encouragement: "...[T]he Lord will be with  you!"  Goliath, seeing David, a mere youth, approaching him with staff, says to him: "Am I a dog that you come against me with a staff?"  Goliath curses him and says:  "Come here to me, and I will leave your flesh for the birds of the air and the beasts of this field."  David does not flinch. Relying upon the Lord, he is unafraid and says:  "...I come against you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel that you have insulted. Today the Lord shall deliver you into my hand....[F]or the battle is the Lord's."

Like for David, God has rescued you and me from "bears" and "lions" in our lives.  Some of these rescues we are aware of and others not.  God is a warrior who fights on our side against the enemies in our lives.  When we face the "Goliaths" in our  lives, it is God who goes to battle for us.  The "battle is the Lord's."

Do you, do I, have the faith and the confidence of David when we are up against situations which, without God's help, there is no way that we will come out on top?  Never for a moment, did David not believe that God would keep him safe or help him!  Do you, do I, believe that we are safe in winning battles against Satan, who certainly is stronger than we are? Upon whom do I, do you, seek help?

Today, the Lord confronted me in prayer about dealing with a situation without first bringing my concerns to Him and seeking deliverance from Him.  Consequently I fell into the pit of human weakness awaiting me and, in no uncertain terms, the Lord said to me through the Spirit within me:  "You did not come to me about your anger...That was the mistake that opened the pit into which  you fell....!"  The Lord cannot and will not help us resolve a problem that we keep to ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment