Friday, January 17, 2020

Bringing Others to Jesus

In today's Gospel, Mark 2: 1-12,  crowds surround Jesus seeking healing.  Four men bring their paralyzed friend to Jesus but are unable to get close to  him, so they lower the man from the roof.  Jesus, seeing their faith, says to the paralyzed man: "Your sins are forgiven."  Some scribes observing Jesus  say to themselves: "Why does this man speak that way? He is blaspheming. Who but God alone can forgive sins?"  Jesus knows what they are thinking and asks them: "Why are you thinking such things in  your hearts?"  Turning to the man on the mat, he says to him:  "...[R]ise, pick up your mat and go home." The man does so, thus Jesus emphasizes His power to both forgive sins and to heal the sick! Others there, contrary to the scribes, are astounded and burst into praise of God, saying: "We have never seen anything like this."

Who am I in this story:  someone who needs friends who will take  me to Jesus, one of the scribes questioning Jesus' authority and accusing Him of blasphemy, one of the persons in the crowd astounded by what Jesus has done and glorifying God, one who forgives others and thus being a source of healing for them?

I have choices to make every day! By some of those choices I distance myself from Jesus, others paralyze me spiritually, emotionally or physically. Other choices draw me closer to the Lord as I do what Jesus would do.  Still other choices give glory to God and lift my own faith and that of others!

What choices have I made today? yesterday? What do I need to do differently tomorrow so as to draw closer to the Lord, give glory to God and strengthen my faith and that of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment