Monday, January 27, 2020

Champions of God

The responsorial psalm, Psalm 89, speaks of God's faithfulness and mercy toward David. Of David it is said: "On a champion I have placed a crown; over the people I have set a youth.  I have found David, my servant; with holy oil I have anointed him, that my hand may with him, and through my name shall his horn be exalted. I will set his hand upon the sea, his right hand upon the rivers."

God has also made you and I champions, champions, that is, of grace, of the faith, of  redemption. Those gifts from God were mediated to us through many people, beginning with our parents and grandparents or other faith-filled men and women that God put into our lives: teachers, friends, school counselors, fellow employees.

God found us, as he found David, and anointed us through the Church's sacraments. God laid His hands upon us through these sacraments and through sacramentals, signs of God's presence: another's person's love, compassion, understanding, forgiveness, and concern for our well-being and our success in school, in marriage, in business and so on. We, in turn, are meant to be sacramentals for others, that is, signs of God's love and mercy. We are exalted in many ways and each of those through the name of Jesus! And, yes, God sets our hands upon the "seas" of life by which we sail  into successes that lead us to God's love and into rivers that wind our ways through rough currents into God's gift of salvation.  God is always at work in us and through us, making us "champions" on our race to eternal life where we will be crowned for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment