Wednesday, May 8, 2019

The Apostle's faith in Jesus

Today's Scripture readings, Acts 8: 1b-8 and John 6: 35-40, are awesome! In the first reading we are told that the early Christians are being persecuted and everyone is scattering "except the Apostles!"   The Apostles' faith in the resurrection holds them fast in the face of incredible odds. Nothing stops them from proclaiming Jesus Christ and His resurrection from the dead. He is alive, not dead. Through the power of Jesus, as we hear in Acts 8: 1b-8, Philip goes to the city of Samaria proclaiming Christ, healing the sick, and casting out "unclean spirits."    Death and Satan had no power over Jesus, over the Apostles nor over us who hold fast to the faith and keep our eyes on Jesus, believing in Him, proclaiming Him, trusting Him and looking to the power of His resurrection at work in our lives!

In the second reading, the Gospel, Jesus reminds us that the will of His Father is "that I should not lose anything of what he gave me,....[and] that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day." The Apostles knew Jesus' promises, believed in them and in Jesus, the Son of God, the Incarnate Word of God flesh, who walked among them healing the sick, casting out demons, raising the dead to life, and proclaiming the Good News of the Kingdom among us.  During His last discourse with the Apostles, Jesus said to them: "I tell you solemnly, whoever believes in me will perform the same works I do myself, he will perform even greater works, because I am going to my Father. Whatever you ask for in my name, I will do...."
And for that reason, the Apostles do not flee when things get rough and dangerous! They go on, as Philip did,  doing what Jesus did, not fearing death but eagerly waiting for the day they, too, would be raised "on the last day.".

What is your belief? What is mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment