Friday, May 10, 2019

Saul Awakened to the True Identity of Others

In today's first reading, Acts 9: 1-20, we again encounter Saul, a man bent on finding men and women who believe in Jesus, that is "who belonged to the Way."  Authorized by the high priests with letters to give to synagogue officials in  Damascus, Saul sets out for Damascus to find Christians, whom he would put in chains and bring back to the authorities to be put into prison!  

To say the least, the situation was anything but safe for those who were following Jesus' way. In many parts of the world today, people also find themselves in unsafe situations for variety of reasons: religion, race, foreigners, young women, children, runaways, wives, husbands and on and on.  In some parts of the world, including the U.S., people are being rounded up, locked in prisons, put in cages or detention centers without a hearing!

We are told in today's Scripture passage, that as Saul "was nearing Damascus, a light from the sky suddenly flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?' [Saul asked] 'Who are you, sir?' The reply came, 'I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. Now get up and go into the city and you will be told what you must do.''

The same encounter with Jesus, I believe, happens with each one of us when we are hurting others, being mean to others, bullying others, deceiving others, or cheating others, in some way, of their basic human rights.  Though not as dramatic as with Saul, still we are challenged, ordered perhaps,  to "get up."  What we do to the least our brothers and sisters, the Scriptures tell us, we do unto Christ cf Mt. 25:40).  So Jesus asks us: "Why are you persecuting me [treating me badly, cheating me, bullying me, putting me down, being mean to me, depriving of my basic human rights]?"


No comments:

Post a Comment