Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Faith Responses when Facing Difficulties

In today's first reading, Acts 14: 19-28, we are again inspired by the apostle Paul, who had been stoned, dragged out of the city in which he was proclaiming Christ, and left for dead.  When those who were stoning him left, Paul got up and re-entered the city to continue doing the work that the Lord Jesus had commissioned him to do.  Nothing stopped him. Down, he got up. No self-pity. No ranting and raving about his persecutors or those opposing his work.

What an example for all of us.  What, I ask myself, do I do when others knock me down, whether that be a physical altercation or an emotional one?  Do I get up when I fall, or when others push me down, as Jesus did on the way to Calvary, and continue the work of building up the Kingdom? Do I keep my eyes on Jesus and what He is asking me to do as His follower? Or do I waste time slamming others for the problems they have put in my way or putting myself down for the problems I have created for myself?

The choice is mine. Jesus did not promise that the journey of faith would be an easy one!  So why am I complaining when I encounter the difficulties of life, of being human and encountering human nature at its worst in others?

Lord, I ask for pardon when I fall short of serving You heroically, as did Paul. Help me, Jesus, keep my focus on you and on building up Your Kingdom of faith, hope and love! Give me the Wisdom I need in doing what is right and just for others and for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment