Wednesday, May 22, 2019

God Delights in Us as a Loving Parent Delights Over a Child

In today's Gospel, John 15: 1-8, Jesus says to us: "I am the true vine, and my Father the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.  You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him [her] will bear much fruit...."

In one sense we are like infants in their mother's womb and later, also, as toddlers and small children are totally dependent upon their parents for sustenance and growth.  Infants and toddlers apart from their parents will perish. So, too, will we apart from God! God guides us and provides for us as any good parents provide for their children. And nothing diminishes parents' love for their children.  No matter what we do, parents continue to love us and eagerly await our return to them when we have gone astray!   So, too, with God!

And like the owner of a vineyard, God does everything possible--pruning,  nurturing, watering, cultivating-- that we, His prized "plant," produce fruit, an abundance of fruit.  And how proud is God as He watches us bear fruit!  His love is ecstatic!

No comments:

Post a Comment