Monday, February 19, 2018

The "Sheep"/"Goat" Population

In today's Gospel, Matthew 25, 31-46, Jesus tells us that, "when the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him."  Some of us will be "sheep" and some "goats."  The "sheep" and the "goats" will be separated--the "sheep" on the Lord's right and the "goats" on His left.  The "sheep" will have inherited "the kingdom," for, as Jesus says to them:  "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothes me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me." To the "goats" on His left, He will say: "Depart from me...into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and is angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me."

In the first reading, Leviticus 19: 1-2, the Lord says to Moses: "Speak to the whole assembly of the children of Israel and tell them: Be holy, for I, the Lord, your God, am holy."  The Lord then spells out what it means to be holy.  In the Gospel, Jesus also spells out what it means to "[b]e holy," as the Lord God is holy.

To whom did I/you give food today? Whom did we nourish and/or nurture by our words or actions?
Whom did we clothe with words of love, understanding, patience, kindness? Or whom did we  actually physically clothe? Were we a welcoming, caring presence to anyone imprisoned in despair, fear, grief or other difficult emotions?  Was I, were you a "sheep" or a "goat" today?

No comments:

Post a Comment