Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Taking All of our Concerns to the Lord

In today's responsorial psalm, David says to God: "You are my God. In your hands is my destiny; rescue me from the clutches of my enemies and my persecutors."  That is Jeremiah's plea, also, as he realizes that the people are out to kill him. He goes to the Lord in his distress and says to Him: "Heed me, O Lord, and listen to what my adversaries say. Must good be repaid with evil that they should dig a pit to rake my life? Remember that I stood before you to speak in their behalf, to turn away your wrath from them."

Jeremiah and David both have developed a very close relationship with the Lord. They are not hesitant to pour our their souls to the Lord. They are honest with the Lord and speak to Him as to a best friend!  God has, in fact, become their best friend. May you and I, likewise, take all of our sorrows, our joys, our concerns, anxieties, worries to the Lord, trusting that God will act on our behalf, as we act on God's behalf and the behalf of others!

In the Gospels we, also, see how real the apostles are with Jesus. They keep no secrets from the Lord, even begging for privileged positions in Jesus' kingdom.  James and John go to Jesus, to God, as a child goes to his/her father, asking for whatever they desire. Of course, as with James and John and their mother, they are not exactly seeking what Jesus can give them. Neither do we, at times, realize that our motivations need to be purified.  On this journey, like Jesus, we will "drink the chalice" of suffering. James and John both suffered for the Lord's sake. James, in fact shed his blood for the faith! John was exiled because of his preaching about Jesus!  What we do know that as we go through this valley of tears God is at our side, His hand in our hand, guiding us, strengthening us, encouraging us and, when necessary, carrying us through the "turbulent" waters of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment