Thursday, May 7, 2015

Remain in my Love



Today is the 58th anniversary of my mother’s burial, our putting her body to rest and beginning an acute grieving process, as she left four children still in grade school. I think of a sibling’s life-after-death experience, when she “died” and went to heaven, experienced the profound peace of being in the Light and then hearing  a voice,say to her: Go back, your time is not yet. She had 7 children to yet raise. Why was it not her time but it was my mother’s, who, likewise, had small children yet to raise? My question remains unanswered. I will continue to be mystified by this reality of my life. 

“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved!”   Jesus’ death certainly baffled many. Why would the life of our Messiah end so tragically? Look at the good Jesus was doing? Pilate says to the crowd when they demand His crucifixion: “Why? What wrong has he done?”  Jesus’ life is ended at age 33! My mother’s life was ended shortly after she turned 50 years of age.  Perhaps “why” is the wrong question to ask.  Perhaps I need to look at the what of my mother’s life.  The lessons she taught us children did not die with her.   Perhaps I need to look at  the “how” whereby each of us found strength to move on, to  make good of the tragedies of our lives, and the ways in which we cope with realities that are disquieting, perturbing, horrifically distressing.  From whom did we learn to look to our Savior?  Who taught us to “remain in [Jesus’] love? Perhaps that is why her mission was complete at age 50!

What legacy am I going to leave those who might be baffled by my death when it comes?



No comments:

Post a Comment