Friday, May 1, 2015

Jesus: a Just, Loving, Merciful King



In today’s responsorial psalm,  Psalm 2, the Lord says to us: “I myself have set up my king on Zion, my holy mountain.” To Jesus, God says,  in this same psalm: “You are my Son; this day I have begotten you…I will give you the nations for an inheritance and the ends of the earth for your possession.” And to us, the God says: “Serve the Lord with fear (reverence) and rejoice before him…”.

In the liturgy’s first reading, Acts 13: 26-33, Paul addresses the people in the synagogue in Pisidia Antioch, confronting them with the truth:  Your “leaders failed to recognize [Jesus], and by condemning him they fulfilled the oracles of the prophets that are read sabbath after sabbath. For even though they found no grounds for a death sentence, they asked Pilate to have him put to death…But God raised him from the dead…We ourselves are proclaiming this good news to you that what God promised our [ancestors[ he has brought to fulfillment…by raising up Jesus, as it is written in the second psalm, You are my Son; this day I have begotten you.”

The King whom  God has given us is like no other king, like no other leader. Jesus is just. Jesus is merciful. Jesus is forgiving. Jesus saves us from the  corruption of the grave and that of sin;  yes, from eternal damnation. All the kingdoms/nations of the world belong to Jesus. He will do for each kingdom, each nation, each municipality,  in this world,  what no earthly king/leader/governor/prime minister can do: save it from that which could destroy it. And He does so for each of us who believe in Him.  Truly, let us “serve the Lord with fear (reverence) and rejoice before him” (Psalm 2).

No comments:

Post a Comment