Thursday, December 4, 2014

Peace as Related to a Firm Purpose and Trust



In today’s first reading, Is. 26: 1-6, the prophet states that the Lord keep in peace those nations who trust in Him. That also means that the Lord keeps a family, a person, a parish, a city at peace when those entities/persons trust in the Lord. When I go “bonkers,” when I lose my peace, it is then that I am not trusting in the Lord but in myself, in other human beings, in materials things that have no power to save or to right a wrong or quell the opposition.  The strength of my trust may very well be in how I react when meeting opposition, encountering difficulties, experiencing setbacks or glitches in my “armor.”

Isaiah, furthermore, states, of the Lord, that “[a] nation of firm purpose, you keep in peace.” I might compare when my purpose is strong and when it is weak. If my purpose is strong, I am then determined to find God, to discern God’s will. I rely on God alone and am open to, humble about, considering the opinion/input from others, knowing that each person has a significant part of the truth.  My purpose is weak when I am seeking self-aggrandizement, power over others; when I am  pursuing my will or relying on self apart from God and when, pridefully, I discard the insight from others or avoid listening to others altogether.

The consequence of operating from a weak purposed , in the words of Isaiah, is that the Lord will humble me and tumble me from the “high places” where pride leads me. I will be brought low, tumbled to the ground.  My pride will be leveled “with the dust”; it will “be trampled underfoot” (compare Isaiah 26: 1-6). In the words of today’s Gospel, when my purpose is weak I am building my house on sand. When it is strong, I am building upon a firm foundation, the Rock who is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment