Monday, December 22, 2014

Opening the "Gates" to Let in the King of Glory



  The entrance antiphon of today’s liturgy prays: “O gates, lift high your heads; grow higher, ancient doors. Let him enter, the king of glory (Ps. 24 (23) 7.  Mary let the King of glory enter her womb. O God, You took on our humanity through her.  May each of us allow you to take on our humanity, as well, allowing you to speak through us, love through us, show compassion through us, bring new life to others through us.  Just as John was filled with the Holy Spirit in his mother’s womb, when Elizabeth greeted Mary, may,  others, too,  be filled with the Holy Spirit when they encounter God in us.

The first reading, 1 Sam 1: 24-28, Hannah returns Samuel to the Lord, saying to Eli: “I am the woman who stood near you here, praying to the Lord. I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord.” In our baptism, you and I were dedicated to the Lord, also.  Each day of our lives, we need to discover that we belong to You, O God, that in our baptism we were dedicated to You and to You alone.

All life comes from you.
 All life is a gift from you.
All life returns to you.

Am I, by my actions, returning to You, welcoming You in as my Savior, my Lord, the King of glory? Are you also engaged in this mission?

No comments:

Post a Comment