Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Holy Spirit is Not Rationed

God "does not ration the Holy Spirit" (Jn 3: 31-36).  Ever admire the work of others and wonder how they accomplished what the did in their life-times--people like your own parents, for instance, or people life Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Dorothy Day, Pope
Francis or Pope John Paul II or Pope Emeritus Benedict XVi, or the pastor of your parish or the Sisters who taught you in gradeschool, high school, college? Ever wonder how hour favorite author did what he/she did?  The answer, obviously, is through the power of the Holy Spirit.

In today's Gospel, St. John tells us that God "does not ration the Holy Spirit" (Jn 3: 34). Jesus says to Philip in John 14:12-13: "I tell you most solemnly whoever believes in me will perform the same works as I do myself; he [she] will perform even greater works, because I am going to the Father....I will send" (John 16:8) the Advocate, the Holy Spirit to you.

Do I realize that no matter what I want to do in carrying out the inspirations of the Holy Spirit, whatever I want to do in my vocation to further God's Kingdom, I am capable of doing by the power of the Spirit within me?

No comments:

Post a Comment