Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Come to me,...I will give you rest"


Jesus says to us in today’s Gospel, Mt. 11: 28-30, “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest….”

I got up this morning dragging, feeling tired, longing for a day off, wanting a respite. I struggled with these tired feelings and the request to surrender part of this coming weekend to a community outing to benefit another member of my religious community.  My insides were saying: “No, I have nothing more to give, I have too much work to do, I haven’t caught up from being away from my desk most of June, I need the weekend just for me.”   I then decided to take today off, go for spiritual direction, cook for the Sisters with whom I live (it’s my turn), keep a scheduled dental appointment and spend the rest of the day relaxing!

I spent the hour of prayer in silent gazing upon Christ, surrendering my burdens to Him. Whenever my mind wandered, I’d gently came back to the passage and heard Jesus saying to me: “I will give you rest.” I rose from that hour of prayer refreshed, ready to go!

To whom to you take your burdens? And how to you listen to your tired body?

No comments:

Post a Comment