Monday, July 30, 2012

Becoming the Beauty, the Renown, the Praise of God


In today’s first reading, Jeremiah 13: 1-11, the Lord tells us through the prophet that, “as close as the loincloth clings to a man’s loins, so had I made the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah [that includes you and me and all humankind] cling to me,…; to be my people, my renown, my praise, my beauty. But they did not listen.” Abandoning God, neglecting our faith and not taking time to develop intimacy with the Lord, our faith deteriorates, as did the loin cloth that God directed Jeremiah to hide in a cleft of the rock and leave it there for an extended period of time. It rotted! 

Faith, staying close to the Lord, growing in intimacy, withers when we fail to nurture it. And what a failure.  When we stop listening to and sharing everything about ourselves with our God, we also fail  in our growth as  God’s people, God’s renown, God’s praise, God’s beauty.  How do we nurture our relationship with God? The same way we develop close relationships with one another: by spending time with the one/s we love, by communicating honestly with them, by being loyal to them, by developing a trusting and loving relationship with them, saying sorry when we are wrong, listening, giving and receiving, being generous of our time, talent and energy, serving the other for his/her own sake.

God is always faithful to us! Am I faithful to God? Has my relationship with God grown since first receiving the faith or has it stagnated, faded, or, even rotted?

No comments:

Post a Comment