Friday, January 6, 2012

"This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased"

In today’s Gospel, Mark 1: 7-11, Jesus goes in search of John the Baptist.  He hears what John is doing, namely, that he is preaching about the One who is to come after him whose sandals he is not worthy to undo.  Jesus finds John baptizing in the Jordan,  calling people to repentance, and  preparing  the way for the Messiah, the Anointed of God. Jesus enters the water to be baptized by John. John argues with Jesus: “You should be doing the baptism.”  Jesus wins the argument and  He, the Son of God made flesh, is baptized as is any other human being.  John is told that he will know who Jesus is when the Spirit descends upon Him. As Jesus leaves the Jordan, the heavens open up and the Spirit, with whom Jesus will baptize, rains down upon him.  God proclaims for all to hear: “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased.  At my baptism and at yours,  God, too, looked down and said: “This is my beloved son/daughter in whom I am well pleased.”  Every moment that we live the Gospel of Christ, reincarnating Jesus in the world of our day, preparing the world in which we live to welcome the Way, Truth, and the Life,   the heavens open up and the Spirit descends in blessing, proclaiming who we truly are in His sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment